ASL Team Places in Deaf Games

Josey Derosier
ASL team poses for a group photo at the Deaf Games. All students participate in ASL three.

The American Sign Language team lost by one point and received second place at the annual Deaf Games on Saturday at the Tyler Junior College. In the previous year the team earned first place.

“I’m excited about second place,” ASL instructor Amy Thompson said. “Everybody was out to beat us. We were trying to reclaim our title.”

Within the competition room, competitors are not permitted to use any verbal communication and receive reductions if they are caught doing so. The team received three reductions.

“It’s very quiet,” Thompson said. “If we wouldn’t have gotten the deductions we would’ve been champions.”

This year’s team consisted of senior Alisa Thane, senior Kylie Leaver, senior Sarah Sundholm, senior Roland Duncan, senior Keely Legrown, senior Landon Gill, and senior Madison Corriveau. 

“I think it’s really important, especially when you’re learning a new language, that you involve yourself with the community,” Thane said. “Culture is really important, it’s equally as important as learning to speak the language.”