Streaming Services: A Deep Dive

Streaming Services Graphic.
Streaming Services Graphic.
Jaida Jones

Since the COVID-19 pandemic, streaming services have become present in our everyday lives. Most Americans are subscribed to the “Big Five” streaming giants. This includes Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Max, and Disney+, however, there are hundreds of streaming services out there with many being released within the last three years. But which of these services are actually worth spending your money on? Let’s take a deep dive into the four most popular services among students and find out which service is best.

Netflix logo. (Photo by netflix.com via Wikimedia Commons)

To no surprise, Netflix lands on top. Out of 109 Lindale students surveyed, 89.9% of students use Netflix. Netflix has been a staple in households for many years and is often credited with shutting down Blockbuster. Over the years, Netflix has had its fair share of ups and downs with increasing prices and show cancellations, however, it has still remained strong in the streaming service industry. Shows like Gilmore Girls, The Walking Dead, and Outer Banks have caught students’ attention and ensured Netflix’s prominence in American households. 

Netflix is so goated because of the Netflix Originals,” junior Colton Nichols said. “They get a lot of hate, but how can you hate on OBX and All American?”

Amazon.com, Inc., Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

Amazon Prime Video saw the second-highest number of users in Lindale landing at 76.1% of students. Amazon Prime Video holds a wide variety of movies and TV shows and often streams movies for free. Some movies included with Prime are 10 Things I Hate About You and The Batman. While not every movie on the service is included with Prime, those movies that students wish to watch can be rented or bought. This allows the service to host a platform for media unseen on other platforms.

“Amazon Prime Video is definitely my favorite because there are just so many more options to choose from on there,” sophomore Molly Sims said. 

The Walt Disney Company, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

Ranking third is Disney+ with 68.8% of students using the service. Disney+ is one of the newer streaming giants to be added coming out in 2019. This service hosts an array of movies from Disney classics to Marvel superheroes. Disney+ is a great service for the whole family and has something for everyone. The platform is super user-friendly and host shows such as The Mandalorian, The Little Mermaid, and Avengers Endgame.

“Disney+ is my favorite because it’s only $8 a month and it gives you unlimited access to tons of my favorite Disney movies,” junior Kaydin Lottman said. “Disney Plus rises to the top with its kid-friendly stable of movies and shows the whole family can enjoy.”

Warner Bros. Discovery, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

Finally, landing at number four among students is Max, previously known as HBOMax, at 56%. Max gained such popularity with its selection of award-winning films and direct-to-streaming service. Moreover, what helps this streaming platform stand out is its Max originals. Shows like The Last of Us have proven it is more than just a streaming service. Max also holds all eight of the Harry Potter movies and classics such as The Outsiders and The Notebook

“My favorite is HBO because I feel like they come out with newer things more often than other streamers,” sophomore Sadie Clay said.

There are hundreds of streaming services to choose from all hosting different movies and TV shows. Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, and Max are the most popular among students. When considering which streaming service to subscribe to, students should consider these four due to their variety in content and hours of entertainment.