The star steppers perform under the Friday night lights. One of the best parts about being an officer is creating close relationships with all your teammates while also watching and helping them succeed, Captain Macy Beeler said.
The star steppers perform under the Friday night lights. “One of the best parts about being an officer is creating close relationships with all your teammates while also watching and helping them succeed,” Captain Macy Beeler said.
Eden Tannery

Spotlight: Band and Drill Team Officers

The band and drill team have officially named the drum majors and officers for this school year. Sarah Christian, John Rasbury, Kaden Strickland, and Jacob Glawson are the band drum majors. Macy Beeler, Charlotte McConathy, Joy Forsyth, Blaire Gano, Abby Shine, and Ila Varnado are the drill team captain and lieutenants.

“The drum major position is earned through an application process, and interview by the band directors and above all what you have done in the past to earn the role,” director Steven Moore said. “They show their marching, conducting and leadership skills. They are the student leaders of the marching band and are vital to our success.”

Junior Sarah Christian is the head drum major, and chose to become a drum major so she could help the band in any way she could. She was inducted into the National Honors Society (NHS) last year and has danced competitively outside of school for thirteen years. Christian also works in childcare at her local church, and enjoys sharing the love of Jesus with the next generation. 

“I chose to become a leader because I wanted to be able to provide an environment for everyone to thrive in and feel like their role matters,” Christian said. “I want to help the band and its members in any way I can.”

Junior John Rasbury became a drum major because of the opportunity to build new skills, such as collaboration and mentoring, and to watch others grow. He is a part of the NHS and plans to take part in the TJC Promise. He has also participated in the UIL robotics team, which has made it to the state level competition for the past two years.

“As drum majors, we’re responsible for conducting and guiding the band both on and off field, as well as setting examples of service and leadership,” Rasbury said. “I enjoy the challenge that comes with serving the program, and the impact that follows.” 

Senior Kaden Strickland was influenced by the drum majors as a freshman, and wanted to do the same for other younger grades. He is a part of NHS as well as Model United Nations, which is where students play the role of delegates from different countries and solve the same problems the United Nations do with resolutions. Strickland has participated for five years, and the past three years, his delegation has won first overall. 

“I help lead the band as well as be a positive example for everyone to look up to,” Strickland said. “I enjoy having the trust and respect of others. I know I could walk up to anyone and we could have a conversation like we’ve been friends for our whole lives.”

Senior Jacob Glawson decided to join the band because he wanted to learn how to play the trumpet, and since has made many memories and friends in the band. Glawson also participates in welding, and has learned many skills in the art. 

“My role is to lead the band and to keep it structured,” Glawson said. “It was a dream I had when I was in 6th grade to lead the band and to gain leadership skills.”

All of the band drum members are also squad leaders, which means they help a group, or squad, of other band members with marching, learning music, or other school work. Along with the new drum majors, the drill team has selected their officers for the school year. 

“These officers work very hard to earn this position,” drill team director Keri Pierce said. “Not only do they work hard all year to show others their passion for the Star Steppers, they also go through a rigorous tryout process. This year’s leadership has already begun to show everyone their ability to lead and to serve the members of the team.”

Senior and Captain Macy Beeler joined the drill team because she wanted to dance more and be a part of a team. She is involved in Student Council, National Honor Society, and Texas Bank & Trust student board. Beeler has also been dancing at the Studio 16 Dance Center after school for nine years. 

“I enjoy all the memories I’ve made and will make as a drill team officer,” Beeler said. “Memories we have made at officer camp or officer practice are always the best. One of the best parts about being an officer is creating close relationships with all your teammates while also watching and helping them succeed.”

Junior and Lieutenant Ila Varnado decided to become an officer because she wants to be on a college dance team. She also participates in the KDF Sr. team where she has met many friends and improved her abilities. Varnado is also a part of Senior Company, which is a competitive dance, and she is also in the NHS. 

“As a lieutenant I lead drill team by example,” Varnado said. “I go over counts and help perfect dances. I have the responsibility of helping the other officers and directors remember all the things,”

Senior and Sr. Lieutenant Charlotte McConathy decided to join drill team so she could find a niche in school and further her dancing career. She participates in student council, NHS, Chick-fil-A leader academy, and Texas Bank and Trust student board, and enjoys being able to branch out into the community through all of these. McConathy has also danced at a studio outside of school since she was three years old, during which she has made many friends. 

“I joined drill team so I could find a niche in school and so I could further my dancing career,” McConathy said. “ I chose to become an officer because I have truly found a home in drill team. I love to lead everyone and be a good example for the team.”

Senior and Lieutenant Abby Shine chose to be a drill team officer because she wanted to be a positive influence for the team. She is also in Student Council, NHS, and CFA leadership. Shine also dances in a studio outside of school, and enjoys the extra opportunities it gives her to participate in dance.

“I chose to be an officer because I felt like I had the ability to help lead the team in a positive direction,” Shine said. “I always strive to go the extra mile with things I am involved in, so this was a way for me to do so. I enjoy being a person anyone on the team can always come to if they need help with anything.”

Senior and Lieutenant Joey Forsyth became an officer because she wanted to be a person others could rely on. She also takes technique with a personal trainer in Longview and is involved in ballet classes along with private lessons at ETT to improve her flexibility skills. Forsyth was also a competitive dancer for six years, but has since refocused to finding a college dance team. 

“I feel like as an officer we have a role to serve the drill team,” Forsyth said. “The line members look up and depend on us, so it’s an officer’s job to be there and be willing to help anyway possible.”

Senior and Lieutenant Blaire Gano decided to become an officer because she wanted to be more involved with dance. She also participates in KDF Dance and Gym competitive dance, Student Council, NHS, and Texas Bank and Trust student board. Gano also helps the student body and the community through these by doing volunteer work and community service.

“My favorite part of being an officer is the memories I have made and will continue to make,” Gano said. “Also, I think one of my favorite parts of being an officer is being able to form a relationship with each girl on the team, and watching these girls grow and succeed from there is just the best.”