Sophomore Jaden Roquemore submits his sketch for VASE.

Art and Theater Students To Compete At State

The art program will compete for Visual Arts Scholastic Event (VASE) at the state level April 29. VASE is a three round competition that covers different types of arts, including digital art design.

“I am so proud of our students,” art teacher Rebecca Harrison said. “They all worked hard and we had great success. The students are still performing, so far I think they are in line to really represent Lindale High School well.”

There were 859 entries total in the Regional contest and 17 pieces were selected in the top 13% of all entries, advancing them to the Area level.  Junior Laura Watters and sophomore Jaden Roquemore placed in the top 5% and advanced to the state level. 

“I’m very excited to go to VASE this year, I never thought I would make it to state, so it is amazing,” Watters said. “My piece took all the time we were given to complete, it was challenging at times but very fun to create. It has been so fun to see it advance as far as it has gone and I hope it goes far at the competition in April.”

Students start preparing for VASE as early as September. After a commitment is made, Harrison sets deadlines for them to make sure everything is going according to plan for the competition.

“My time at VASE was a truly inspirational experience,” senior Ivy Brackeen said. “Meeting so many different artists with a multitude of unique styles inspired me to expand my horizons and try new things.”

In addition to VASE, Kenli Sumner and Emma Harris will compete at state in theatrical design.  In this competition, competitors must create different components needed for a play, including costume and prop design.

“Theatrical design is a thorough competition that tests a student’s commitment to a theatrical production,” Harrison said. “Both Kenli and Emma have done a fantastic job staying committed to their process and their artworks. I am proud that their hard work, creativity and dedication are being validated by advancing to the state level of competition.