Parents and Students Volunteer for Lindale Youth Basketball League

Parents and students volunteer for the Lindale Youth Basketball League. Their next game will be this Saturday at the high school, Velma Penny, and junior high.  

“I’m really proud of the group of volunteer coaches we have,” head coach Christopher Grotemat said. “They have to have a heart for children and have to have a desire to want to partner with us in our collective effort to try and teach the game in a way that’s consistent.”

Youth basketball starts for grades first through sixth. Students play against each other from the same grade division, and after about three to four practices, league play starts.

“I chose to volunteer because the sport is something I really love and helping the little kids is such a joy,” junior Ireland Cornejo said.

The league consists of 437 kids and 50 volunteer coaches. Every week they have practices on Mondays, Thursdays, and Sundays at the high school and games on Saturdays. 

“My favorite thing about teaching the kids is seeing them get better over the season,” senior Fay Johnson said. “I love the game a lot and I love to see other people enjoy it too,”

The students play five weeks of regular season games and their season concludes in mid February with an end of the year tournament.  

To see those smiling faces and see them celebrate with each other makes it all worthwhile.

— Grotemat said