Students tape their music up to practice before their competition. They performed a set of scales and excerpts from two songs
Andrea Hernandez

Band Competes at All-Region

Students competed at All-Region Tryouts Dec. 10th  at Henderson Middle School with 16 advancing to area. The area competition will be held January 7.

“It felt so good to get first chair,” junior Henrique Arantes said. “I really like music, and if I have the opportunity to play music instead of just listening to it, I will take that chance any day.”

61 students auditioned at tryout and 39 placed in the Symphonic Band, Concert Band, or as an alternate. Of these 39, six students placed first in their sections to contribute to the total of 16 advancing.

“I currently feel excited and a bit anxious for the Area Auditions because of the challenging players from different regions,” sophomore Manuel Rosas said. “If I practice hard enough and put enough effort into my audition, I may have an opportunity for the All State Band.”

The Area competition will be held at Chapel Hill High School where students will compete for a spot in the State band. 

“I enjoy being part of the Lindale Band because it allows me to create strong relationships with the people who surround me and it permits me to improve as a better person with the numerous activities we do,” Manuel Rosas said. “In any band, Oboes are not a common instrument. Being able to play a rare instrument, which usually receives many solos, makes me one of a kind. This is one of many reasons why I enjoy playing the oboe.”

There are three tiers of bands the students can place in – Symphonic Band, Concert Band, and Alternates. The top performers in the symphonic band advance to the next level and the concert band contains the other placing performers. Alternates are named to help replace performers who cannot attend the area.

Earning third chair at All Region made me feel ecstatic because it made me really proud of all the work I put in,” sophomore Sarah Christian said. “I am really happy for all the people who made the All-Region band, they definitely deserve it.”

At the auditions, performers will play scales as well as two musical excerpts to display their talent. From there, judges rank the performance of the students and decide who advances.

“When I play my instrument I feel as if I can express how I feel through how I play,” senior Christiana Ussery said. “I’m feeling pretty confident, I think that as long as I continue to practice and keep my mind focused on the job I need to do, I will compete to the best of my ability.”