Tennis To Host Annual Santa Smackdown

Tennis To Host Annual Santa Smackdown

Tennis will host its annual Santa Smackdown Friday at 4 p.m. There will be a Christmas outfit competition and a silent auction held during matches.
“The Santa Smackdown is a great tournament,” coach Randall Namanny said. “It is a lot of fun and a great way that the community can support the tennis program.”
Anyone can participate in the tournament as long as they sign up. There will be an early entry fee of $25 and a late fee of $35 for anyone who wants to participate. The form was given out throughout the high school as well as being posted on the Lindale Tennis Facebook page.
“I’m excited that we get to play,” sophomore Kalvin Dryman said. “I know that there will be a lot of amateur players, but it will be fun to see everyone try their best.”
Tennis players get to pick another player that is not on the team to compete in the tournament. The junior high tennis players can choose to participate and they can pick anyone to play with.
“I am so excited to play at the Santa Smackdown with Kalvin,” sophomore Tobias Burks said. “I’m not the best at the sport but I’m excited to support the tennis team.”
At the game there are raffles to win gifts. Participants may dress up in Christmas themed outfits and costumes for the tournament.
“It is so fun to see people dress up,” sophomore Jayson Stewart said. “It is something that you don’t see everyday so it’s fun to see what people come up with.”
The tournament will consist of women’s, men’s, and mixed doubles.  T-shirts will be sold and there will be silent auctions for prizes.
“I like competing at the Santa Smackdown because of the easy going atmosphere with a slight edge of competitiveness,” sophomore Peyton Berry said. “Everyone wants to win but they’re also there to enjoy the sport of tennis and play with people they might not normally play with.”