LHS Names 22-23 Homecoming Court

LHS Names ’22-’23 Homecoming Court

After they walk into their third period, still stressed from days of homework and extracurriculars, they hear the everyday beep of the intercom beginning announcements. Their ears perk up as they hear “Now for your 2022-2023 Homecoming queen nominees.”  With breath held Christiana Ussery, Julee King, Kaydee Cox, and Kenzie Wallace all hear their names called. After claps of applause and congratulations from their peers, all four ladies beam with happiness imagining themselves dressing up and representing the school under the Friday Night Lights.

All four Homecoming queen nominees will gather at the field  Friday for the 2022-2023 Homecoming ceremony. Voting for the queen has already begun and will end at noon on Friday.

“All four of our homecoming queen nominees are outstanding young ladies along with being outstanding students,” Principal Jeremy Chilek. “I couldn’t have asked for a better group to represent us as queen nominees.”

Senior Christiana Ussery was voted by the freshman class to represent them as their nominee. She is the daughter of Mark and Lucy Ussery, and is a drum major in the Pride of Lindale Eagle band.  Ussery is involved in varsity powerlifting, cross country, track, Student Council,  National Honors Society, and Key Club. Ussery plans to major in psychology and criminal justice in college. 

“I think it’s so cool that all my peers and classmates nominated me for this position,” Ussery said. “I think it’s definitely something I never would have expected, especially being new to this school as a freshman and I didn’t know anyone and now I’m just thriving.”

Senior Julee King was voted by the sophomore class to represent them as their nominee. King is involved in NHS, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Chick fil A leadership academy, the Texas Bank and Trust Student Board, and she plays varsity golf. She is the daughter of Joey and Jennifer King.  In the future she plans to attend Texas A&M.

“I’m friends with a lot of sophomores through FFA and through church,” King said. “I’ve really got to know them and cultivate several great relationships.”

Senior Kaydee Cox was voted by the junior class to represent them as their nominee. Cox is involved in NHS and varsity soccer. Kaydee is the daughter of Corey and Kristi Cox.  In the future she plans to become a speech therapist.

“I’m most excited about being alongside these awesome women in our school, and it’s an awesome opportunity to be nominated for something like this,” Cox said. “It just shows the student body that we have and just how inclusive it is for sure.”

Senior Kenzie Wallace was voted by the senior class to represent them as their nominee. She is the daughter of Ken and Ashley Wallace and Misty McCommon.  She is involved in Student Council and NHS. Kenzie plans on attending cosmetology school and to someday open up her own hair salon.

“Ever since I was little my parents would always take me to the Homecoming game to see all the girls and their dresses and I would always look up to them,” Wallace said. “Now that I am the girl that I always looked up to, it’s really bittersweet.”

Each class also voted on a class duchess to represent them at the  ceremony. The duchesses include freshman Alyssa Romero, sophomore Taeler Schilling, junior Gracie Ray, and senior Laniya Daniels. The football sweetheart is  Jalynn Gateley, and the flower girl and crown bearer are Whitten Hodges and Marli McKenzie.  Joining the court will be last year’s Homecoming Queen, Brylee Bergbower.

“The Student Council would like to thank our administrative team for all the support and encouragement they have given us throughout the week,” Student Council faculty sponsor Renee Ramsey said. “Thank you to our awesome LHS principals for allowing us to do all the fun things.”