The UIL Academics team displays their first place trophy.
Photo Provide By Neda Morrow

Students Compete at the UIL District invitational

The UIL academics team competed at the district competition held at the Region 7 Education Service Center on March 5. The academics team placed 1st overall. The regional competition will be held on April 25.

“We had a great time at district this week which really helped show what our students can do,” science sponsor Duane Walton said. “As we advance to regionals I only expect to see great things and for the students to show off how great our school is.”

District is the first round on the road to state for students in academics events.  In most events, only the top three winners will advance to regionals.  In some events, whole teams can advance if they score high enough.

“We had a great time at the district competition,” senior Zane Gano said. “I feel more prepared than ever for the regionals and hopefully state competition.”

Last year the academic team won the state championship with the amount of points they obtained at the state level. 

“Speech and Debate is a very competitive event and I was happy that I performed my best,” senior Aryan Patel said. “UIL has been a very important part of my high school experience and I am very grateful for the support my coaches and teammates give.”

RESULTS

In the Computer Applications competition Kylie Kleam placed first, Kaylee Kelley placed second, and Connor Philpot placed third.

In the Calculator Applications competition the team placed second, Madeleine Morton placed fifth, and Sarah Kim placed sixth.

In the Computer Science competition the team placed first, Blake Reeves placed first, Noah Sullivan placed second, Rex Day placed third, and Kamryn Brooks placed sixth.

In the Current Issues competition the team placed first, Gavin James placed first, and Aden Ramsey placed second.

In the Literary Criticism competition the team placed first, Jaxson Buttram placed first, and Autumn Schoolcraft placed third, and Jacqueline Rand placed fourth.

In the Math competition the team placed second, and Kaden Strickland placed fifth.

In the Number Sense competition the team placed second, Madeleine Morton placed fifth, and Anthony Shoukry placed sixth.

In the Ready Writing competition Autumn Schoolcraft placed second and Kailee Juston placed third.

In the Science competition the team placed first, Troy Dane placed first and was the top in chemistry, Zane Gano placed second and was the top in physics, Julia Montgomery placed third and was the top in biology, Angelina Jaden placed fourth, and Gavin James placed Sixth.

In the Social Studies competition the team placed second, Kathryn Peschke placed second, Kylie Kleam placed fourth, Koby Kleam placed sixth.

In the Spelling and Vocabulary competition the team placed first, Abigail Alexandris placed first, Emma Dilley placed third, Alyssa Starkey placed fourth, and Kylie Kleam placed fifth.

In the Journalism competition the team placed first. 

In the Copy Editing portion Vivi Lehman placed first, Julia Montgomery placed second, and Marlee Sorrells placed third.

In the Editorial Writing portion Lian Boone placed first, Jesika Miller placed second, and Marlee Sorrells placed third. 

In the Headline Writing portion Vivi Lehman placed first, Jesika Miller placed fourth, and Julia Montgomery placed fifth.

In the News Writing portion Kylie Hester placed first and Marlee Sorrells placed second.

In the Speech and Debate competition in CX Debate George Bond and Jakob Davenport placed first.