NHS students visit the Tyler Food bank to volunteer for four hours.
Sally Clemmons

Service Clubs Participate in Local Community Projects

NHS students worked Tuesday night at the Tyler Food Bank. Both Student Council and NHS students have multiple service projects coming up around the community.

“This year in Student Council we have done so much more for the community than we have in previous years,” Student Council sponsor Renee Ramsey said. “I’m just super proud of how dedicated the officers are to what they do.”

In the fall, NHS students worked on mums for Life Skills, shopped for Lindale Christmas Helpers, and made Christmas cards for the Colonial Nursing Home. During this semester, NHS plans on participating in the Learning Lab and the local food bank at the Methodist Church. Sophomores will be inducted in March.

“This past semester was really successful for the NHS organization,” senior vice president Taylar Ragland said. “I’m sad this will be my last year, but I’m excited to do as much for Lindale as I can before I graduate in the spring.”

Student council and NHS will both make Valentines cards to distribute to teachers and nursing homes for the month of February. Students will create the cards using colored paper and other craft supplies.

“We have been planning and preparing for a lot of upcoming events and service projects,” student council president Landrie Hay said. “I know a lot of us are excited to come together and make cards for people around the community.”

StuCo members are also preparing for the Teens in the Driver Seat initiative, a program designed to inspire students to be a safe, undistracted driver. 

“I just started driving a few weeks ago, so I think this program will be really helpful for my friends and I,” sophomore Landri Laing said. “I love that I am able to be a part of the student council and participate in this important initiative.”