NHS meets to discuss upcoming events. This was their September first meeting to prepare for fall.
Julia Montgomery

NHS To Shop For Kids In Need

NHS will shop for kids in need  in Tyler. This trip and the money donated to it can count for volunteer hours for students.

“Lindale Christmas helpers is one of the best volunteer opportunities by far for NHS,” NHS president Halle Lambert said. “Not only is it such an amazing cause, but it’s fun for everyone involved.”

Each student can donate up to $25, and every $5 will count for one volunteer hour. Shopping for the students has the opportunity to earn up to three hours.

“I’m so excited for this opportunity to get Christmas gifts for kids in need,” second Vice President Crew Goodson said. “This year we will get to do it together, and I’m thankful that we are able to do this for them.”

NHS will be divided into five groups to shop for different kids in Lindale and Tyler. They will get items for five students in need at Lindale at the Walmart and Target in Tyler.

“I am really glad we have the opportunity to help kids in need,” Vice President Taylar Ragland said. “I also really like that we get to do it together.”

While these hours are only for NHS students, there are other donation opportunities for students who are not in NHS such as Habitat for Humanity, David Powell Food Pantry, Nicholas Pet Haven, and many others. 

“I think volunteering for your community is very important,” junior Christian Wynne said. “Taking any chance available to get your hours in, I would definitely take it.”