The winning students pose with their checks from the prize of the contest. I was really eager and thrilled to have the opportunity to show my art skills on a wall, freshman Christopher Perez said. I have been working on this for over a week.
The winning students pose with their checks from the prize of the contest. “I was really eager and thrilled to have the opportunity to show my art skills on a wall,” freshman Christopher Perez said. “I have been working on this for over a week.”
Neda Morrow

Students Compete in Art Mural Competition

Sophomore Mariana Martinez won first place with a $1000 prize in the Fusion Athletics mural competition. Freshman Christopher Perez won second place with a $500 prize.  Fusion Athletics sponsored a competition where students in grades 7-12 designed concept artwork to be used in the new facility going up across from the EJM campus. 

“Mariana and Christopher are both quiet, hard working students that pour themselves into their art,” art teacher Rebecca Harrison said. “There were several fantastic designs, and these two students went above and beyond the expectations of our client to achieve the design that was desired.”

Bryan Bradford, Fusion Athletic Club founder, presented checks to these students in the high school on Friday. Students will work and meet with muralist Melissa Silvaa to create the artwork in the facility starting on April 21.

“Both of these students work constantly to improve their skills in art, and Mariana has participated in almost every competition opportunity this year and is dedicated to improving her skills,” Harrison said. “It is my hope that Christopher will continue to develop his artwork through practice, critique, and refinement.”

Bradford approached superintendent Stan Surratt, junior high art teacher Donna King, and Harrison about hosting a competition allowing students to develop concept artwork and implement the artwork in a mural in the new facility. Martinez’s design was selected to be the subject of the mural.

“Winning the fusion art contest was accomplishing,” Martinez said. “The whole point of the contest was to inspire people to not give up, to have determination, and to strive for a goal with art.“