Students medal at state VASE competition

Lindale High School art students traveled to Bryan, Texas on Friday to compete at the state level of the Visual Arts Scholastic Event(VASE).  Drew Austin, Hailey Long, Veronica Churchill, Chris Hilton, Natalee Lopez, and Maggie Pierce all qualified for state at the regional level of the VASE competition in early February.

“I took the photograph [I entered] last year, and spent a couple hours editing it,” junior Maggie Pierce said. “I feel very accomplished. I love tangible proof of achievement.”

Three out of the seven students who advanced to state medaled, which is the most Lindale has ever had placed. Veronica, Natalee, and Maggie all got 4 ratings on a 1 to 4 scale. Veronica got a perfect score, a 20, Maggie got a 17, and Natalee got a 15.

“It’s really exciting to have medaled at state,” senior Veronica Churchill said.”At first you are looking at all of the other artwork, and you sort of feel inadequate. Then we you see that you actually medaled you think to yourself ‘Oh my gosh. Really?’.”

Along the way,the students made a stop at Davey Dogwood Park in Palestine to take photos and enjoy the weather. When they arrived in Bryan, they spent time at an art and music festival. They got to eat food, look at art, and have a good time.

“I enjoyed getting to know other art students from all across the state,” Maggie said. “The trip was very enjoyable, and I can’t believe three of us medaled. It was all very exciting.”