Sophomore Kylie Hester practices CPR on the CPR dummy.
Sam Lee

Health Science Classes Certify Students in CPR

The Health Science classes are certifying students in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) through the American Red Cross. The classes started on January 4 and students will take the written exam on January 14.

“We [get certified] through the American Red Cross,” health science teacher Nicole Hone said. “[They] will take the written exam next Thursday and they’ll receive a certificate in CPR.”

The students are provided with the necessary tools needed to complete their CPR certification. They have American Red Cross demonstration videos and CPR mannequins to assist them in the training.  Safety measures are encouraged to keep the students and teachers safe from COVID-19. 

“I cleaned the mannequins in between each class,” Hone said. “We also had a disposable mouthpiece that went on every mannequin that we would take out and switch in between every student.”

The goal of teaching the students CPR is to give the student

s the confidence to correctly keep a victim from death until medical responders arrive. This also helps students who are going into the medical field or where it is required in their line of work.

“I’m so glad we got this opportunity to learn CPR,” sophomore Gracie Voyles said. “It was a great experience and taught us valuable information that could possibly save a life one day.”