Words of Advice as Seniors Prepare for College

Senior year has many different obligations to attend for students. Seniors must purchase their cap and gown, submit their college applications for the fall semester, and often must apply for scholarships and grants that will aid them in paying for college.

“My words of wisdom for the class of 2020 is to run your race, put your footwork to your dreams,” senior counselor Tamica Collard said. “Do not give up. Race yourself, not others. Encourage one another, and put others before yourself because that’s much more fulfilling. Know that you are destined for so much more than you could ever imagine.”

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA, was started in 1997 to aid students in paying their way through college. By filling out and submitting a FAFSA students may receive federal money.

“[The] FAFSA is very beneficial,” Collard said. “Oftentimes, completing the FAFSA will allow students to attend college who didn’t think they could attend before because of financial reasons.”

Many colleges end their application period by the end of the 2020 school year, meaning students who have a college in mind should keep an eye on their deadlines and ensure their grade transcript is submitted and any additional requirements are met. 

“Colleges want to know about you,” Collard said. “They do not want a cookie-cutter essay. They want to know an area where you struggled, what you learned from that struggle, how you overcame it and what you are going to be doing differently.”

Many students who meet the qualifications for the TJC Promise program will receive free tuition at TJC.  In order to qualify, they must perform a set amount of volunteer hours, maintain a grade point average of 2.5, miss no more than five days of school, and stay below step seven on the behavior line.

“I think the TJC promise is going to help students that otherwise have not considered college due to the financial burden it may be,” Collard said. “Students are making a very wise decision in taking advantage of college [being] paid for [by TJC]. These are exciting times for our students to have the opportunity to move on to the next level in a more financially responsible way.”