Make a difference

Make a difference

Students spend time shopping for Angel Tree

Psychology students from Amy Shively’s 2nd and 4th period classes came together after school and ‘adopted’ an elderly woman through the Salvation Army Angel Tree. This was not required for a grade, but it allowed the students to give back to the community as a class.
“My favorite part was watching my students put everything together, being excited and having fun,” Shively said. “It was neat knowing we were part of making a difference. At the same time they were blessing someone else, I was also being blessed just by watching young kids giving their time and what they have.”
Everyone brought a minimum of $5. Items students bought for their Angel Tree included a sweater, jeans, slippers and more.
“It was great to know we were positively impacting an elderly lady’s holiday,” junior Michaela Blanchard said. “It was also cool being able to bond with my classmates while also making a difference.”
Students pitched different ideas on how to help others during the holidays, such as ringing the bell for Salvation Army. In the end, they decided on the Angel Tree.
“It felt good to help someone else get a gift during Christmas that couldn’t have one,” junior Laura Thomson said. “I know we all enjoyed serving another for the better this season.”