Jayden Gregory, Tyler Thompson and Bella Yoder were recognized in front of the school board for their achievements at the Mineola District Convention.
Photo by Courtney Sanguinetti

FFA Competes at Mineola District Convention

Future Farmers of America (FFA) attended the district convention in Mineola on January 9. Out of 18 members they had one member make district and two members make area.

“I would describe our district convention just like a district playoff game,” Mineola district secretary, Stephen Hindman, said. “Whether it be football, baseball or basketball, a student, in our case one student instead of a team, have to take a test and do an interview to become a district officer.”

Of those who went, junior Bella Yoder made Area Officer, sophomore Jayden Gregory advanced to Area for the talent team and sophomore Tyler Thompson made Sentinel for the District Officer Team.

“Not only did the best motivational speakers and most powerful singers from around come to support and cheer,” Thompson said. “They chose who they feel would be the best candidates to represent them. Lindale swept the floor.”

At convention, schools from the surrounding counties compete for places on an officer team and talent team. Officer teams get judged based on a speech they are given and a test they must past.

“All of the best [students] from each of the schools’ FFA chapters come to compete,” Thompson said. “They have the chance to earn spots on an officer team or to get recognized for awards that they have achieved.”

Members of the FFA were recognized for other achievements and given awards. According to Yoder, district convention was a great opportunity to grow and develop relationships with members in the Mineola District.

“I know that I, for one, had about the best time of my life,” Thompson said. “Memories were made that will never be forgotten.”