Construction begins on Eagles Stadium. It is expected to be completed by the first home football game of the 2019-2020 school year.
Alanna Kologey

Construction Starts on Eagle Stadium

Construction crews began tearing down Eagle Stadium before Christmas break. Reconstruction is estimated to be done by the first home football game of the 2019-2020 school year on August 29.

“We are appreciative of the community showing their support and voting for the bond package,” superintendent Stan Surratt said. “It’s going to be special on Friday nights when the Eagles are playing and in the spring with our soccer players and track runners.”

Renovations will include switching the visitor and the home sides and improving the concession stand, bathrooms, press box and bleachers. The stadium is designed to seat 8,500 people with ample space.

“Our football, soccer and track programs will all benefit from this expansion,” athletic director  Mike Maddox said. “The added bleachers and seats will give our community a first class stadium in order to host our games as well as a great avenue for play-off games to show other communities our nice facilities.”

It’s always important to remember our humble beginnings and to be thankful to our community for its support of our students.”

— Mike Maddox

Along with the new stadium, the high school will receive a new auxiliary gym, a multipurpose activity center, a wing for classrooms on the southwest corner and expansion to the cafeteria. The bond will additionally cover improvements to the parking lots at the Early Childhood Center and the high school.

“I’m excited about playing on the field,” Conner Boyette, junior varsity football player, said. “It’s going to be weird because everything is going to be flipped, but I am definitely excited about it.”

In November, 5,617 people voted for the bond and 2,657 people voted against it. Beginning in 2020, taxpayers will see a four cent increase to start paying it off.

“I hope we never take for granted the opportunity we have at Lindale or the sacrifices of others in order for us to have a first class facility,” Maddox said. “It’s always important to remember our humble beginnings and to be thankful to our community for its support of our students.”