Three Lindale students work on their trailer at the trailer build on December 6. Several Lindale teams competed in either the trailer build off or the cooking competition, along with teams from different schools around the area.
Cally Browning

FFA Hosts Trailer Build

The FFA organization recently hosted their second annual trailer build off on December 6. Around 22 teams from the area competed in the trailer build, and 30 other teams competed in the concurrent food competition.

“We hosted the trailer build-off because it gives our students another avenue to compete,” FFA teacher Cleveland Morris said. “It was a huge success. Our students performed excellently in the trailer building and cooking contest.”

At the trailer build, teams of four people had to build a trailer from scratch. There was a sample trailer for them to look at, but that is the only help they received.

“[A trailer build gives] the students, who choose to participate, a chance to be critiqued on the welding skills,” junior Nathan Feuquay said. “Building a trailer is a challenging task, and this gives them the chance to show what they can do.”

In addition to the trailer build, many teams also competed in the cooking contest at the event. Each group prepares an appetizer, an entree, and a dessert, which are then judged by the local fire department.

“I loved getting to cook food for my friends, teachers, and the fire department,” Feuquay said. “It was so fun this year because I got to be on a team with two of my best friends.”

This was Lindale’s second trailer build. FFA is the largest school organization in the country.

“Due to leadership events, showing cattle, and everything in between, I have learned how to be a leader,” junior Bella Yoder said. “Furthermore, I’ve learned how to serve others before serving myself. The National FFA Organization is indescribable. It has changed my life as a whole, and I would not be who I am today without it.”