Student view of walking to class. (Photo taken October 26, 2018)

Crowded Hallways and Classrooms Prompts Discussion Before Bond Vote

From crowded hallways to shared classrooms and limited cafeteria space, the growth of LHS’s student population has prompted discussions on safety and student enrichment. With the bond election coming up in a few days, community members will decide if changes are necessary to the current infrastructure for the future.

“Part of the bond package that has been proposed, with community approval, will open up the major [hallway] intersection [of the high school],” superintendent Stan Surratt said. “We need more elbow room in the hallways to make it safer for the students.”

Since it opened in 1995, the school district has seen a significant growth in population due to the economic expansion of the community. More students entering the high school has meant overcrowding in the hallways.

“Going down hallways between classes can be very mind-numbing,” sophomore Cameron Hilliard said. “You do not pay attention like you should. It can [lead] to a lot of safety hazards like trampling over people, hurting people, or pushing them against the walls.”

There are nearly twelve hundred students currently attending Lindale High School. Many of these students use the same hallway intersection to get from class to class.

“It is definitely a safety concern to put that many students into a confined space,” LISD chief of police Joey King said. “Hopefully with the passing of the bond we can expand the hallways which would definitely improve safety at the high school.”

Lunches at the high school are divided up with roughly four hundred students in each lunch period. According to the ‘Proposed Plan for Lindale High School Cafeteria Expansion’ on the LISD website, if the community votes to pass the bond, 70% more seating would be added to the cafeteria and a new kitchen would be built.

“Sometimes if the cafeteria gets too crowded, I will go sit in the library or one of my teachers classrooms,” an anonymous student said. “We technically are not allowed to do that, but it is ridiculous that there is not enough seating in the cafeteria for everyone to be comfortable.”

Classrooms have also began to become too full with some hosting over thirty students at a time and even teachers having to share classrooms. According to the ‘Proposed Plan for Lindale High School Expansion’ on the LISD website, if the community votes to pass the bond, an extra two-story wing would be added.

“We will build another wing and add twenty-three classrooms,” Surratt said. “We need the classrooms now and for future student growth.”

Other improvements included in the bond include a new auxiliary gym, a multipurpose activity center, and upgrades at the stadium.