Paint the town pink

Paint the town pink

Students, faculty support Breast Cancer Awareness

Students rallied together at the John Tyler game, Oct 18, to support Breast Cancer awareness. NHS members and Star Steppers sold Pink Out shirts to wear at the pep rally and game. Over $10,000 was raised and donated to Ross Breast Center from the shirts.
“I love how the student body, as well as the faculty and staff, has been supporting Breast Cancer Awareness,” Principal Casey Neal said. “I think our student body has been great at getting behind everything we have been involved in this year.”
As well as selling the shirts, many school organizations wore pink for the occasion. Star Steppers wore Pink Out shirts, pink hat bands, and carried pink poms. Football players wore pink socks and sweat bands, while cheerleaders also had Pink Out shirts, bows, and poms.
“I like getting to support breast cancer awareness by wearing pink,” varsity cheerleader Bailey Rogers said. “Its awesome to be able to look up and see the stands so full of pink for the cause.”
Pre-game festivities included Dancing With the Stars in which kindergarten through 8th grade girls from Lindale were led in a routine and danced with the Star Steppers.
”We got to perform with the little kids, which was really cool because they look up to us and you can tell they’re having so much fun,” Star Stepper Hannah McDowell said. “I like that we inspire them to maybe be a Star Stepper one day.”
For others, however, seeing pink held a more significant value. Senior Veronica Churchill’s mother has had cancer for the past two years. She has gone through 4 different surgeries to remove the cancer.
“Its great to see so many people ‘pinked up’ to support this cause,” Veronica said. “In a way seeing my friends and peers wearing the pink and the Breast Cancer Awareness gear makes me want to cry from happiness, because it means something personally to me and my family. I really liked how the drill team had the pink shirts, hatbands, and pompons because that is an organization that I am a part of and those girls are like a second family to me.”