Categories:

Senior Achieves 1,000th Kill in Volleyball

Senior Addison Ridge spiking the ball. This was at the home game on Aug 15.
Sydney Hines

Senior Addison Ridge achieved her 1,000 kill in volleyball on Aug. 20. A volleyball kill is when a player both spikes the ball and earns a point. 

“I am honestly a little shocked at my achievement; I knew I was close but I was not expecting to get it at the beginning of the season,” Ridge said. “I’m very proud of myself, and I know my teammates and everyone are really proud of me.”

Ridge began playing select volleyball at a club in Athens when she was 8 years old. She played varsity at New Diana her freshman year before moving to Lindale and maintaining her spot on varsity her sophomore through senior years.

“Addison came here her sophomore year and was always a very talented player who knew the game,” Head Volleyball Coach Jessica Dimsdle said. “She has transformed into not only a fantastic player but also a great leader on and off the court.”

Ridge was recognized last year for 1,000 volleyball digs, which is when a player receives a spike or serve. Her position both last year and this year is defensive specialist and outside hitter. 

“I definitely enjoy the connections I get with my teammates and coaches the most,” Ridge said. “All of my friends are volleyball players, and it’s crazy the friendships you make just by playing on a team for like two months.”

Ridge was introduced to the sport of volleyball through her mother who is a coach at Fairfield high school. Her father is also a coach.

“Volleyball in general is definitely my favorite sport, and honestly, my favorite thing to do,” Ridge said. “Basically it’s what my whole life revolves around.”

Ridge’s jersey number is seven and has been since she began playing. Seven was her father’s high school football number.

“My dad is probably my biggest motivator,” Ridge said. “He is really hard on me, but that’s gotten me to where I am, and I definitely appreciate that.”

Ridge plans to play volleyball in college and in the highest division possible. She has not committed to a college yet. 

“Playing in college has been my dream since I was a little girl,” Ridge said. “Ever since I started playing volleyball, I was always saying stuff like ‘I’m gonna go D1’.”

If you played volleyball, which position would you play?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.