Serving the Country

Seniors Enlist in the Military
Logan Blackburn, Daniel Yniguez, and Cameron Hicks are all seniors who plan to go into the military. They will graduate on Friday.
Zoee Tanner

Many of this year’s seniors plan to enlist in the military after they graduate high school this month. They have a range of different motivations and inspirations, but they all plan to serve their country when they graduate school. There are multiple different branches, with students going into each one.

“I hope to gain, obviously the tangible benefits to it, like school, and life insurance, and things like that,” senior Cameron Hicks said . “I think, for me, it’s more of an honor thing.” 

One of these branches is the United States Army. Senior Logan Blackburn plans to enlist in the army under Airborne Infantry, which is similar to a paratrooper. While he doesn’t plan on making it a long-term career, he does plan to go into it after graduation.

“I’m going into the military because my older brother, Seth, was in the military for a couple of years, and he did the same thing I plan on doing,” Blackburn said. “He was kind of my hero growing up, he was my oldest brother and he was the person I looked up to.”

Another branch is the United States Marine Corps, one of the most versatile branches within the military. This is where senior Cameron Hicks plans to enlist, and his MOS is under aviation.

“I have family in the military just in general, but two close family members, my brother and my grandfather, are both Marines,” Hicks said. “Just getting to go and protect your country, there’s a lot to it.”

Senior Daniel Yniguez also plans to enlist in the Marine Corps, specifically in the infantry, where he plans to become a rifleman. He has many family members who have previously joined the corps, and he plans to keep his family legacy going.

“I hope to gain character and discipline,” Yniguez said. “I have a lot of family members that are in the Marines, so I want to just keep that going.”

Basic training for the army is a 10-week-long boot camp that consists of many rigorous physical tests. There are Army basic training locations in Georgia, South Carolina, Missouri, and Oklahoma. 

“I plan on going into the army under airborne infantry, which is pretty much a paratrooper, for those who don’t understand that,” Blackburn said. “All you really do is jump out of airplanes onto the frontlines.”

Marine Corps recruit training lasts 16 weeks, with a 10-day leave after the first 12 weeks. The first 12 weeks are part of a program called Marine Corps Recruit Depot, where the recruits face a series of strength tests, along with general paperwork. The final four weeks are called Marine Combat Training, where the recruits will now learn skills within their specific area.

“I hope to gain a couple of things, like life experience, and hopefully experience for my future careers that I go into,” Blackburn said. “My brother met some of his lifelong friends in the military, and I hope to find that.”