• Final Bond Results --5,617 For, 2,657 Against--The Bond Passes

UIL Realigns School Districts

UIL recently realigned the districts for schools in conference 5A. The left is the new basketball, volleyball, academics and other sports district, and the right is the new football district.

On February 1, the University Interscholastic League (UIL) released new enrollment ranges for conference 4A, 5A, and 6A schools. Every two years, the state of Texas realigns how schools in UIL compete against each other.

“Every year that they realign, you’re forced to re-strategize because you develop strengths that other schools in your district don’t have,” UIL Coordinator Rory McKenzie said. “Then when you change, you may take one of your own strengths and put it up against another school’s strengths.”

Although Lindale stayed the same size, the new alignment includes more schools north of Lindale. The district is more compact, meaning that the schools are closer to each other than before.

“For a long time we were 4A and then suddenly we became 5A and had to compete at an even higher level,” newspaper and yearbook advisor Neda Morrow said. “Since becoming 5A,  we’ve mostly been competing with Whitehouse, Jacksonville and schools that were on the south side of Lindale. Now our new district is with schools that are north of us that we normally didn’t see until regionals or state.”

Different district chairs, coordinators and locations result in how the events are now handled. Divisions are typically based on location, geography and school size.

“I’ve been running our academic district for a few years now and I’m going to continue in that capacity this year,” McKenzie said. “Some small things are going to be different. We’re the new person since most of these schools have been together for a couple of years now. We’re having to be flexible and adapt.”

This provides opportunities for different groups in the schools to prepare for competing against different schools. Both sports and academic teams all face different competition than what they are used to.

“I’m excited about the new district,” Morrow said. “Part of the problem with journalism and academic UIL events is that you get a lot of really good journalism schools competing together at district and some amazing competitors get knocked out. We really like the best competitors to make it to regionals so it’s a true statement of who the best in the state is.”