A poinsettia rests on an official store sign. The Life Skills students and sponsors opened a Holiday Store in the school library.
Evan Bewersdorf

Life Skills Starts Holiday Store

The life skills program is currently operating a Christmas store in the high school library. They are selling Christmas-themed goods, like handmade reindeer ornaments, decorated pens and pencils and their primary product: poinsettias.

The kids are very excited to be able to have the store, they love crafting and making the cards with their own personal touch. They can’t wait for everyone to see what they have been making. They take a lot of pride in their work.

— Lauren Backer

“The kids are very excited to be able to have the store,” teacher Lauren Backer said. “They love crafting and making the cards with their own personal touch. They can’t wait for everyone to see what they have been making. They take a lot of pride in their work.”

The store serves as a fundraiser for the program at the high school. The proceeds go towards new supplies for the Life Skills classes and activities.

“All the Life Skills children, aides, and teachers are involved,”  teacher Jan Simmons said. “The store seemed very popular among teachers and students that knew about it before we started. I know we will be able to make a lot of money for the program.”

The life skills program has operated the store in the past, selling only poinsettias to be delivered at a later date to high schoolers. However, the program is now selling handmade arts and crafts.

“I’m excited to offer more than just the flowers this year,” teacher Kristi Rozzell said. “Now the [Life Skills] children can do what they love to do – craft – and give their crafts to their friends and fellow students in the high school.”