Student fills out college application. Many colleges have early application due soon.
Alanna Kologey

College Planning Brings Stress

Papers are scattered across the bed, a cup of coffee grows cold, and the cursor blinks patiently waiting for the first words of a killer college essay.  Dates of deadlines are highlighted, and not one but often two SAT/ACT reports are found amid the chaos.  It is December, and seniors and juniors everywhere are preparing for the unknown future, and sometimes the stress can take a toll.

Fall is the time for preparation for college and college testing. Tedious planning causes plenty of stress that affects college choices. Deadlines are a huge stressful factor that many forget about them till it is last minute. Getting a planner can help stay organized and stay on track with college planning.

“I would start [planning] as early as your freshman or sophomore year,” business communications teacher Bethe Huse said. “Especially by your junior or senior year, you should already be putting in your applications, getting your FASFA and taking advantage of all the programs at the school.”

A poll was sent out to all juniors and seniors about what factor of the planning process was the most stressful. There were 60 responses, and the top factor, at 35%, was the cost of college. The worry of getting scholarships, tuition, getting books and dorm costs is a lot to think about for many students.

“You are not babied [in college], and a lot of times you are babied in high school.So, it is a new face to the real world, and you need to start [planning] now.”

— Ashlynn Burnett

“You are not babied [in college], and a lot of times you are babied in high school,” senior Ashlynn Burnett said. “So, it is a new face to the real world, and you need to start [planning] now.”

Some ways to reduce college planning stress is starting early. Testing during the junior year and then applying in the spring will allow plenty of time for colleges to review applications and send results in fall.

“I began looking at colleges that would provide the best experience for me,” senior Coleman Allen said. “Really, being accepted into college was the most stressful part because I always [thought] I would never be good enough.”