Students donate blood in the gym. The blood donated will go to several hospitals around the area.
By: Cally Browning

High School Hosts Blood Drive

The school hosted a blood drive on October 12. Over 90 students donated blood to the drive.

“It is just easier for kids,” Student Council sponsor Pamela Price said. “They are more willing to give [blood] than adults are to take time out of their day.”

The blood drive took place in the high school gym. Students that are 16 and older could participate in the drive.

“I think it’s really cool. A little bit you [give] can help save a lot of lives.”

— Mattie Stricklin

This year, changes were made regarding the permission forms and blood drives. For instance, only 16 year olds have to get a parental form signed, in the past 16 and 17 year olds were required to get a parent signature. Also, after the class of 2018, blood cords will no longer be handed out at graduation.

“It is a fun a process that I enjoy doing,” senior Benjamin Nichols said.

The blood drive consisted of filling out a survey, a finger prick to determine if students were eligible to give blood, and the process of the blood being transmitted and donated. A few students won’t make it past the finger prick because of different complications, like iron deficiency. However, the more people who donate help supply blood to hospitals.

“If schools didn’t do blood drives, when you went to the hospitals and you needed blood, there wouldn’t be blood for you,” Price said. “Last April, they ran low on blood because it was a bad month with schools getting [donations].”

The blood donated is given to hospitals. Every student who donates blood saves three lives.

“I was a little nervous but excited to donate,” junior Kassy Bennett said. “I’m giving back to the community the best way I can.”