Film Club Begins the Year With New Goals

The film club had its first meeting on Wednesday. After talking over club goals, they viewed a movie and discussed its implications on the film industry as a whole.

“This year, the club is focusing on making other students aware of the opportunities available,” sponsor Rebecca Harrison said. “My goal for the organization is that it continues to grow and offer students a medium of participation.”

Junior Sophie Taylor was elected president at the end of last school year. Her end goal for the club’s activities this year is to increase overall involvement, and spread interest in films across the school.

The club offers a brilliant opportunity for students to be able to discuss film on a student-to-student basis.

— Sophie Taylor

“The club offers a brilliant opportunity for students to be able to discuss film on a student-to-student basis,” Taylor said. “As the president of the organization, I hope to see a growth in interest in film culture and how it affects society at large.”

The club officially started in the 2014-15 school year. Club activities include reviewing movies, movie viewings and amateur film-making.

“[The club] teaches you to go past surface level, much like an English class, but for film,” Vice President Josh Anschutz said. “It helps reach a demographic of people that generally like to blow off watching movies or relaxing, so that is a positive. Our final challenge of the year will be to make a movie of our own.”