Freshman Laurkyn Worley in front of her piece. She was honored by Representative Louie Gohmert in the Congressional Art Competition.
Kari McKenzie

Student represents Lindale in Congressional Art Competition

Freshman Lauryn Worley competed in the Congressional Art Competition and was selected to meet U.S. Representative Louie Gohmert. The competition exemplifies art in East Texas, and Worley was honored among other artists. The award ceremony was held throughout November and December.

“Meeting Louie Gohmert was amazing,” Worley said. “He was very humorous and personable. He commented on my art and we spoke over it.  I was very humbled to meet him.”

According to the official website for the Congressional Art Competition, it began in 1982 to provide an opportunity for members of Congress to encourage and recognize the artistic talents of their young constituents. Since then, over 650,000 high school students have been involved with the nationwide competition.

“The US Congressional Art Competition is sponsored/organized by District Representatives–in our case Mr. Gohmert and his office,” art teacher Rebecca Harrison said. “Each representative submits the winning piece from their district to the US Capitol Building to be displayed for the year.”

The award ceremony was held in the Michelson Museum of Art. Even though Worley did not win, Representative Gohmert told every competitor that the existence of the competition shows that art is alive and well in East Texas.

“Congressman Gohmert spoke to all of the artists and shared many personal stories about his love for art and his daughter who is a career artist,” art teacher Kari McKenzie said. “He spoke of the need to keep fine arts thriving in our public schools.  He awarded each participant and their teacher one of the official 2016-2017 congressional Christmas ornament.”