Fair and square

Fair and square

Career fair comes to LHS

College and Career Week took place at Lindale High School March 2 through March 5. The sessions included were over engineering, business, finance and graphic design. The presentations led up to the final informational sessions planned for Thursday, March 5. However, the events of Thursday were cancelled due to inclement weather and will be rescheduled for April.

“We hoped to get the ball rolling in our student’s minds about their futures,” counselor Teri Hodges said. “There are so many college and career opportunities out there that we hope to open student’s eyes to and provide further information on.”

The speakers focused their presentations on preparation for the career field, entry level job requirements, career opportunities and descriptions of a typical work day.

“I’m here to help students become familiar with the broadcast journalism industry,” KETK evening news anchor Kaci Koviak said. “I know when I was in high school I had no idea what I wanted to do, I just want to help them find a direction.”

House Bill 5 is a Texas act of legislation passed in 2013 that is designed to give students a better grasp of their future career by moving to a 22-credit Foundation High School Program that allows students to earn endorsements in different areas of study. The career fair is an effort to students thinking about their future profession sooner.

“I loved the photography and design presentation,” freshman Emily Macon said. “I feel it will help people find potential careers to go into.”