Band To Compete At State

Alitsa Tovar

The band performs their box drill at the UIL contest. “It is important to be precise,” sophomore Keren Lee said. “If we do just like how we have been practicing, I think we’ll have a good chance at state.”

Paula Arantes, Staff Writer

The Pride of Lindale band will compete in their state contest at Baylor’s Mclane Stadium in Waco on November 1. The band will compete in the 4A division in hopes of achieving their third consecutive win.

“The band is doing great,” head band director Steven Moore said. “They are working hard with a great attitude and trying to do the things we are asking them to do,” Moore continued. “They are a wonderful bunch of young men and women and we enjoy working with them.”

Their state competition will be their last marching performance of the year.  The state contest consists of a preliminary round and the final round. The top five bands make it to finals.

“I have loved winning state the last two years,” head drum major Kaitlyn Groth said. “Getting to accept the trophy then turn around to see the band accepting is the best feeling ever.”

To prepare for the contest, the band participated in a summer band where they learned marching fundamentals. On Monday night rehearsals they learned the drill and practiced by running the drill to build stamina. 

“The band has been working so hard this year,” Groth said. “I can’t wait to see the performance at state.

The band recently participated in their annual UIL competition at Longview on October 15 that consisted of two rounds. They finished with a streak of first division ratings and reached their 48th year of the band getting straight ones.

“Being able to go to Longview and get straight ones from all our judges was an amazing experience,” drum major Christiana Ussery said. “I truly believe that if we stay focused on our job and do what we practice everyday, we will be satisfied with our results at state just like we were at Longview.”

The first performance they participated in this year was the Mineola Marching Festival on October 15. They were judged based on marching and playing, and they received first place for the military marching category.

“The Mineola contest was a fun experience, and we had a great performance,” sophomore Andrea Hernandez said. “It gave us a great opportunity for a run before UIL.”

Each year, the band creates a motto to motivate them throughout the year, this year’s motto is ‘Raise the Bar’. Their motto is written on posters throughout the band hall and on the back of their band shirt.

“Raise the Bar means setting a new standard of excellence in everything we do,” Moore said. “Doing things in such a way that the folks around you notice and say, “That’s the way we should do things. This can apply to both what they do as a band and in their own lives.”