FFA judging team continues to advance

FFA judging team continues to advance

On April 8 the Lindale Livestock team competed at A&M Commerce against  218 other students.  Texas High School students  judge the livestock, and  junior Kayla Fields placed ninth overall. The team competes at an area contest, and depending on how many schools show up for that contest results in how many chapters get to go to state.

“I’m very proud of my accomplishment of placing ninth,” Fields said. “I’ve been judging livestock since my freshman year, so you can imagine my excitement when they called my name for placing top ten.”

On April 7, there were 58 chapters that competed in livestock judging in our area. After this competition the top eight teams advanced to state. Lindale placed sixth, therefore the team will be advancing.

“I am SO proud of my team,” Fields said. “We have worked very hard the past couple of years and I feel like each one of these guys deserve to advance.”

The contest for this year is going to be held on May 3, and there will be 60-80 livestock judging teams from across the state. Usually, it is held in the fall and there are two different contests. However, this will be a one-day judging event and they will be competing until they get to the top 10.

“At this next contest, I expect each of us to score at least 600 points out of 675. That was out goal for the area contest and two of us reached that goal,” Fields said. “At state, I hope for all four of us to score higher and possibly place” “There is no one that I look up to more than my Ag teachers and I hope to be able to do the same for students and be an inspiration and a light in their lives.”

The students who are judging CDE, Career Development Events, have the opportunity  to get a scholarship to an agricultural school that has a judging team. For now, they get to go and compete against many more teams across the state of Texas.

“I am not working toward any scholarships at the moment because most of them are offered only to seniors, but next year I hope to receive as many as possible,” Fields said. “I want to attend Tarleton State University and major in animal science and become an Ag teacher; I want to be an Ag teacher because I get to work with people AND animals. There is no one that I look up to more than my Ag teachers, and I hope to be able to do the same for students and be an inspiration and a light in their lives.”