District Provides Free Meals for Every Student

All students will be able to get free breakfasts and lunches in the cafeteria from October 1-December 31, or until funds run out, due to a grant from the USDA.  Money already on a student’s account will remain there and can be used to purchase additional items if needed. 

“I think this is a great waiver for our LISD families because of the impact due to the coronavirus,”  Cindy McClenny, Director of Child Nutrition, said. “We have great meals at school and lots of different choices. “

Half of the district does not qualify for free and reduced meals provided by the school and parents have to send lunch or money with their students each day. This expense can cause problems during the pandemic due to job loss and parents being unable to work, so the free breakfasts and lunches have expanded to each student in the district.

“As our nation reopens and people return to work, it remains critical our children continue to receive safe, healthy, and nutritious food,” Sonny Perdue, U.S. Secretary of Agriculture, said. “During the COVID-19 pandemic, USDA has provided flexibilities to help schools feed kids through the school meal programs, and we are also extending summer meal program flexibilities for as long as we can, legally and financially.”