Boylan Writing Contest Ends Monday

Boylan Writing Contest Ends Monday

Lindale High School is once again holding the Helen S. Boylan Writing Contest. Due to COVID-19 related concerns, all submissions will be submitted electronically to Renee Ramsey at the email [email protected]. The deadline for all submissions is on April 20, at 11:59 p.m.

“For more than 15 years, the Boylan Foundation has played a crucial role in supporting the Lindale Independent School district through providing hundreds of thousands of dollars in grants for creative classroom projects that go above and beyond the daily curriculum,” Ramsey said. “The foundation has also provided hundreds of Lindale students with awards and competitive art and writing scholarships.”

This long-standing tradition is made possible by a grant to our school district from the Boylan family. The contest is meant to encourage young writers and to reward them for their efforts.

This is a wonderful way for students to showcase their outstanding talents in writing,” Ramsey said. “The cash prize is a wonderful incentive and can be used for college expenses.”

In order to participate, one must be a Lindale High School student in grades 9-12. Students can submit up to two submissions in each of the three categories: fiction, non-fiction and poetry.

“This competition is beneficial for students who enjoy writing and want to push themselves,” sophomore Lian Boone said. “It also inspires students who don’t typically write to try something new and to put themselves out there.”

Once submitted, all pieces will be evaluated. The first, second, and third place submissions will be rewarded $500, $300 and $200 respectively in scholarships. 

“I chose to enter this competition mainly because I just like to write,” senior Colleen Starkey said. “I write all the time at home, so it was super easy to just write a couple pieces on the side for the contest.”