Students will compete in VASE on February 29th. I think as long as I prepare myself it’ll go over well, Junior Isabella Lee King said. I’m editing my film to make sure it looks top quality and conveys what I want it to convey. I’m also making sure I have all my paperwork and possible interview answers together.
Students will compete in VASE on February 29th. I think as long as I prepare myself it’ll go over well,” Junior Isabella Lee King said. I’m editing my film to make sure it looks top quality and conveys what I want it to convey. I’m also making sure I have all my paperwork and possible interview answers together.”

Students to Compete in VASE

Art students will compete Saturday in the Visual Arts Scholastic Event (VASE) held at Three Lakes Middle School in Tyler.  Schools will compete from across East Texas.

LHS students have been competing at VASE for over 15 years,” art teacher Rebecca Harrison said. “I enjoy allowing students the opportunity to participate in such a competitive and beneficial event.”

Students will submit their art in the art media of their choice. They will then have an interview with a juror who rates their work and their ability to communicate it. 

“This year we have pieces ranging from graphite to mixed media to animation,” Harrison said. “I would like for the students to do their best and to feel ready when they go to meet with the juror.”

Students who have the best artworks will advance to Area, which will take place on the same day. From there they will hope to qualify for state.  

“Each year we have about 75% of our entries advance to the Area level of competition,” Harrison said. “Students enjoy watching their work pass through the multiple levels of competition and potentially qualifying for the state event.  It is a challenging but rewarding process.”

Senior Bella Kerbo, Juniors Eric Romo and Isabella Lee King, Sophomores  Valerie Adams, Courtney Gregory, Kady Beaudoin, Mikah Farmer, Cody Peters and Hannah Schaffer and Freshman Emma (Sal) Harris will be competing this year. 

“I’ve been working on my two pieces (modern world and friendship) for a couple of months now,” sophomore Valerie Adams said. “I’ve made more paintings so I could perfect my style before I start the masterpiece. I hope the interviews go well. That’s what we all hope for. It’s like being picked for a sports team in a way. We all hope to go to State, but we are still happy when we get Area.”

Update:

Ten artworks advanced to area and two students advanced to the State competition in April.
Courtney Gregory: two pieces advanced to Area, one of those advance to State in Division 2.
Valerie Adams : two pieces advanced to Area, one of those advance to State in Division 2.
Hannah Schaffer: two pieces advanced to Area in Division 2.
Isabella Lee King: one piece advanced to Area in Division 2.
Kady Beaudoin: one piece advanced to Area in Division 2.
Makenna Farmer: one piece advanced to Area in Division 2.
Bella Kerbo: one piece advanced to Area in Division 4 (senior level).
Also competing and barely missing advancing to Area:
Emma Harris- Division 1
Eric Romo- Division 1
Cody Peters- Division 2