Opinion: Is Homework Worth It? Pro/Con

IS HOMEWORK WORTH IT?

PRO by Andrew Velarde CON by Marlee Sorrells
Whether it be core classes or extra-curricular, an increasing amount of students are gaining the opinion that certain classes are pushing homework that is unnecessary and not worth their time, while some are saying that homework benefits the students.

Even while the benefits of a stack of homework is disputed, what is not is how it affects students and their ability to manage their own time, providing a unique benefit to the learning process that cannot be taught by any course.. This illustrates itself in a variety of ways, primarily in gaining skills in the realm of time management and allowing for more time to complete the learning process, but showing the same result insofar as it motivates even the least motivated students to get their work done and to maybe learn a bit in the process.

Homework lets students develop the much needed time management skill which prepares students not just for high school but also other challenges they will face in their life. The school may give students quite a lot of homework which is difficult to get done if students wait until midnight to start. If the students choose to do homework at that time it will lead to the students and parents getting fed up with both homework and the teachers. In the future, when in employment, these students have to meet several such deadlines and then it will be this exercise of homework that would come in handy. Time management becomes an important skill to plan out the day so that homework becomes less stressful to both students and parents.

Furthermore, with homework comes more learning of the subject that might not be accessible to teachers in the allowed period of time were they teach. The time allotted for each area of study in school is usually an hour or less. That time is not always enough for students to grasp the core concepts of the material. When teachers or other educators create specific homework assignments students are able to address deficiencies, and it becomes possible to counter the effect of not enough time. This homework also allows the classroom to progress in learning the concepts of the material without the teacher as well as develop critical thinking. Doing homework results in a greater comprehension of the subject so that teachers are able to pass through the subject with ease.

While the opposing view believes that homework creates an unstable state of mind because of the limitation of time some students have is false.  As long as students rely on skills such as time management and critical thinking the crisis of time can be avoided.

Whether illustrating itself through gaining skills in the realm of time management or by allowing for more time to complete the learning process, homework is necessary for students to have and comes with a multitude of benefits.

Schools are continuing to overload students with more homework. Due to this happening, the ideology of homework being a necessity has come to question.

Homework is unnecessary, due to how it affects the mental health of those directly and indirectly receiving it and how it overloads students.

Homework affects the mental health of students by forcing them to work tirelessly and continually to provide the work due the next day. Students stay up late or pull all-nighters to bring in the large amount of work that is assigned to them. This causes them to deteriorate mentally and perform worse on tests and classwork. In fact, a study performed in Amherst College found that when homework wasn’t assigned or a hard deadline wasn’t set, students were more likely to turn in homework on time and perform better than they did when they had to worry about turning work in by the hour. They even responded as saying their mental health had improved, and they felt they learned more in class. The parents of students who don’t fully grasp a subject are beginning to receive the same stress as those in high school, as they are trying to help their child understand the subject completely. As the National Alliance on Mental Illness states, this is one of the most anxious and depressed generations, they don’t deserve the amount of homework given to them because it worsens their symptoms.

The amount of work teachers assign each night leaves the students in extracurricular activities having to sacrifice their mental health and time to do their homework and turn it in by the deadline. This means that the students who are the most valuable to the school’s reputation are having to suffer more than those who are only in school because it is a requirement. For AP classes, students are expected to spend three hours studying each night, and when a student has to spend time for their job, sport or academic activity of choice, they are less likely to reach the required study time and will end up performing worse in the class.

The opposing view believes that homework teaches students time management to prepare them for the real world. However, when a student is having to manage their time by spending their nights staying up to get work done, homework is really only teaching them how to wreck their sleep schedule to do an unimportant task.

If homework cannot be completely abolished, then the ideology that hard deadlines must be set for homework needs to be reversed and soft deadlines should be informed. When considering the importance and effectiveness of homework, one must take into consideration the effects on mental health and the overbearing workload.

Homework isn’t necessary because of its effects on mental health and it’s overbearing workload and shouldn’t be used in schools.