The Law Enforcement class poses while giving the campus police officers a goodie bag. This was to show support to the local police officers on National Law Enforcement Day.
Andrew Velarde

Law Gift Giving

Last Wednesday, the law enforcement class passed out goodie bags to law enforcement at the Lindale Police Department and to the officers on campus. Seven of class periods donated money in support of National Law Enforcement Day ,which was held on January 9.

“We love our law enforcement, and we thought we should focus on our community and our law enforcement officers here in this area,” teacher Paige Ridge said. “One of the things we want to make sure that they know is that we support [them] and that we appreciate everything that they do.”

Ridge set up a competition between her classes to see who could donate the most money with a special reward if the class gets to the $30 goal. The money was used to buy crackers, cookies, chapstick, hand sanitizer, gift cards and gatorade. 

“My favorite part was showing up to Lindale PD and seeing how many officers came in even though it was their day off,” Ridge said. “It was fun seeing that they were excited and wanted to get to know us and be able to participate in this with us.”

While at the Lindale Police Department, different officers gave a tour of different parts of their building such as the holding cell, interrogation room and the dispatch center. The officers also informed the students about different careers and job opportunities. 

“We’ve always had a great corroboration with the [school district] not only with their programs but with their police department,”  Daniel Somes, Chief of Police said. “To be able to have the kids come up and tour the facilities, and then they also bring gifts up for the guys in appreciation is great.”