Madison Ortiz and Ben Zimmerman lead Bonnie, the miniature horse. The CBI class attends the annual miniature horse contest.
Miles Hill

CBI Students Hold 3rd Annual Miniature Horse Show

On December 8, the Community Based Instruction Class (CBI)  students held their third annual Miniature Horse Farm show. The show allows the students to learn real-life job skills by working in a replica of the work-force. 

“Working with the horses also has a therapeutic aspect,” CBI teacher Lauren Backer said. “It’s very calming and helps the students de-stress being outdoors with fresh air and beautiful animals.”

Students partake in a series of challenges that work with the miniature horses. The challenges are interviewing, leading, posing and grooming.

“Working at the farm allows the kids to learn job skills which are critical to their success after completing high school,” Backer said. “With the skills they have learned through CBI, two students have recently become employed.”

The show took place at Miniature Blessings Horse Farm, owned by Don and Nancy Walters. At the farm, there are 13 miniature horses, two full-sized horses, and several dogs. 

“ [The Walters] are animal lovers and incredible people,” Backer said. “They are true supporters of our special needs students and have such willing hearts and put in the work to allow my CBI class to work at the farm.”

The show was judged by Shelby Glover from the Chamber of Commerce, and Superintendent Stan Surratt. The show had a Christmas theme, and there is another show scheduled for May.

“The goal [is] for our special needs students to be seen as capable and able to contribute because they can and they do,” Backer said. “The Walters know this and are wonderful advocates for our students.”