Homecoming Week Brings Memories

The cold, blinding lights shutter to life. You notice a subtle murmur sweep across the bleachers as they talk about who, out of the four girls on the field, is going to be chosen. Looking down at the elaborate dress and at the girls around you, you feel at home. All of the people around you are your friends, and you know regardless of the outcome that it will stay this way. You hear your name called and are immediately hit by the roar of the crowd’s admiration. This is a tradition that many schools in Texas have adopted – homecoming.

Every year, the students and sponsors from Student Council put together and plan homecoming festivities for the community and the high school. From staying late into the night nights painting posters to announcing the homecoming court at the pep rally,  a lot of effort goes into this week of the year.

“Our Student Council members help plan a lot of [homecoming],” student council sponsor Dare Kirklin said. “Making sure we got everything done and checked off was a lot more planning than I anticipated, but we got it all done in the end.”

The theme of homecoming week was also a very big decision to make. This theme included what people were to wear on dress-up days. 

“[Student council] and I were looking to do something different from the previous year theme-wise,” senior Megan Johnson said. “We voted on the split theme idea after looking at what other schools were doing with their themes on Pinterest in a meeting.”

Homecoming allows students to dress up  in elaborate clothes that they otherwise would not be able to wear.

“Dressing up is a great way to show school spirit,” sophomore Kevin Willis said. “Seeing the majority of the school doing it is truly amazing to witness.”

Other festivities included choosing a homecoming court, and this year there was even a staff homecoming king and queen.

I was so surprised [when I heard my name called]”

— Joy Nelms

“The teacher homecoming king/queen was a surprise,” Kirklin said. “I told each of the Namannys that their spouse won, but did not tell them that they won, too.”

The court this year included Freshman Duchess Shelby Anderson, Sophomore Duchess La’Launa Moffitt, Junior Duchess Kayleigh Lawless, and Senior Duchass Braeleigh Flickinger. The four queen nominees were Kloey Smith, Lainey Goodson, Zoe Wilder and Joy Nelms who became the homecoming queen of this year, with the news being a surprise.

“I was so surprised [when I heard my name called],” Nelms said. “Some of the girls had been talking about how they had voted for me, but I just couldn’t believe it.”

Homecoming isn’t just about the queen or the festivities though, for it is about the community coming together to celebrate being a Lindale Eagle. This may manifest itself in odd ways like dressing up as Bob Ross, but it gives everyone an opportunity to be enthusiastic about the community.

“Between the football game and the spirit days that we have, it brings us all together because we all have something that we are working towards,” Payne said.