• Final Bond Results --5,617 For, 2,657 Against--The Bond Passes

Filed under Accomplishments, News

Choir Students Compete at All-Region

Students advancing to Pre-Area pose for a picture. They will be going to Pre-Area on November 8. (Senior Grace Fischer not pictured)

On September 29, choir students attended the annual Texas Music Educators Association (TMEA) All State competition at Whitehouse High School alongside 250+ singers from 5A and 6A schools in Region 21. Students who make All-Region qualify for the next round known as Pre-Area that will take place on November 8.

“I am very pleased with the results,” new choir director Kerry Baham said. “We took 17 singers, which is the most to ever compete from Lindale. The seven who made it represent the most LHS singers to ever make the Region 21 choir in a single year.”

The contest began at 9 a.m. ,and the results were posted at 10 p.m. Each singer is required to sing an excerpt of three songs and then sight-read a melody they have never seen.

“All [of] the people you were with aren’t there to help you, so I was shaking intensely,” sophomore Xander Dickerson said. “The practice went well, but it is entirely different when you’re in the room staring at a black curtain covering someone who’s silently judging you.”

Participating in this competition culminates the possibility of making one of the All-State choral ensembles. Out of all Texas high school musicians who enter the first round, only three percent end up reaching the state level.

“When I entered the audition room, I was so nervous I didn’t think I would be able to sing,” sophomore Jayden Gregory said. “But once I started, I couldn’t stop. I love the way singing takes my mind on a separate journey. For a second, it felt like I was somewhere else and not under the pressure of the judges behind the curtain.”

Each singer is expected to learn the four pieces they are given. These pieces are: I Will Lift Mine Eyes, Gloria Dios, Misericordias Domini and Ich Lasse Dich Nicht.

“I practiced every chance I got because this is the first competition or audition I have ever done,” sophomore Jade Ross said. “I listened to the recordings of the music many times and marked all of my music.”

On the first day of school, they began the process of learning the music alongside working through sight reading exercises to increase their flexibility. They also work on rhythm, pitch, dynamics and performance in order to incorporate appropriate stylistic singing.

“Having seven make it and establish a new school record is very gratifying,” Baham said. “I’m grateful to the students for trusting me with their music instruction.”

The following are the students  advanced to Pre-Area:

Gavin Barrett – 3rd chair – Bass 2 – Junior
Xander Dickerson – 6th chair – Tenor 2 – Sophomore

Grace Fischer – 10th chair – Alto 1 – Senior
Jayden Gregory – 13th chair – Soprano 1 – Sophomore
Halle Lambert – 6th chair – Alto 2 – Freshman
Sarah Krol – 9th chair – Alto 1 – Junior

Jade Ross – 14th chair – Soprano 2 – Sophomore