Many families got together and watched the Super Bowl this weekend.
Sydney Smith

The Super Bowl is more than just a game

Bowls filled with every game-day delicacy imaginable line the table in front of them. The TV is on the game and all eyes are attached to the screen as they wait in hope for the final touchdown to make their team victorious. Their eyes widen, their bodies tense and the moment occurs. Cheers blare from the TV in the background as they all leap up from their seats and hug each other in triumph.

People watched excitedly from homes all around the U.S. to see Super Bowl LI take place Sunday.

“I think it was a very well played game from both sides,” senior Nelson Bond said. “They showed a lot of heart and talent.”

The Patriots started the game off, though the Falcons quickly gained a lead of 21-0. When asked prior to the game, 52%  of LHS students said they were rooting for the Patriots, and 48% were rooting for the Falcons.

“I am pulling for Atlanta,” coach Mike Meador said before the game. “I am a fan of the underdog. My hope was for an all Texas Super Bowl, but that did not happen so I’m going with the Falcons.”

After the second half, the Patriots fought to even the score. In the fourth quarter they scored 19 points alone, tying up the game and causing the first overtime Super Bowl game in history. The Patriots scored the winning touchdown in overtime.

“I wanted the Patriots to win the Super Bowl,” junior Jonathan Mcwhorter said. ”I think that it’s really cool for Tom Brady and Bill Belichick to win their 5th Super Bowl together– it cemented Brady as one of the best quarterbacks in history.”

The Super Bowl is much more than just a game, it is an event that is shared with family and friends. It is about the traditions, commercials and halftime shows as much as it is about the game. The traditions are especially a huge part of the game for students. Parties, crawfish boils or just hanging around the house with family makes the Super Bowl an equivalent to an American holiday.

“Super Bowl Sunday has always been treated as a holiday in my household,” junior Addi Baquet said. “Football may not be my favorite sport, but I love the sense of community our blowout parties would always bring. Between snacks and socializing, I love to check the score, watch the commercials, and watch the halftime show.”

When the students were asked what their favorite part of the game was, 46% said that it was the commercials or halftime show. This year the trailer for the second season of the popular tv series “Stranger Things” and the advertisement for the new Nintendo console, the Nintendo Switch, caught many people’s attention. Lady Gaga performed this year at halftime, starting her performance out with a bang on the top of NRG Stadium while surrounded by drones forming the image of an American flag.

“My favorite part is seeing all the different and weird commercials,” sophomore Alanna Kologey said.

The commercials, parties and standing as the first overtime game is Super Bowl history make Super Bowl LI a game to remember.

“Everyone with even a vague interest in the sport gets hyped up over the event,” Brock said. “[People spend] the week after gloating or complaining about the outcome, and the day of celebrating the game as if it was a holiday. I consider it a spectacle because the raw enthusiasm people have about the event causes people to reach a level of excitement comparable to that of a convention or a holiday, it’s just a great experience watching everyone.”